Can i be granted divorce and live in the same residence as my ex husband?

Asked over 2 years ago - Tampa, FL

My husband and i are going through a divorce. However we are both currently living in the same residence with our 2 minor kids. The divorce will be finalized next month. I was a stay at home mom and i haven't found a job since i filed for divorce therefore i still live in the same residence. my question is in regards to child support and parenting plan. If i tell the judge that i will be staying in the same residence with my ex husband until i can afford to move and have my own place u think she would grant me the divorce or will she postpone it until i find somewhere to go. What would be the implications of the child support i requested and other parenting plan? My ex husband wouldn't have a problem with me staying there

Attorney answers (3)

  1. John Arthur Smitten

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes u can get divorced and live in same house.

  2. Reza Athari

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Not an immigration question. Please post for family law attorneys

  3. Elizabeth Clare Surin


    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Repost in Family Law/Divorce/Child Support

    An attorney-client relationship is not formed by my responses to questions on Avvo. My responses are not intended... more

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.


Alimony is the regular monetary allowance one ex-spouse may be required to pay the other after a divorce.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,766 answers this week

3,125 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,766 answers this week

3,125 attorneys answering