Skip to main content

Can I be found in contempt twice for one motion?

Portland, OR |

I was recently found in contempt for willful failure to pay spousal support. During the hearing, the Judge ordered me to lease my home rent free to my ex. getting credited towards back support. If I refuse to follow a court order, and serve my 6mos, is there double jeopardy in that same contempt? One for willful failure to pay and the other for refusing to follow a court order resulting from one contempt motion. Is this the same contempt?

Also, if I fail to move out of my home, can I be forced to move out and liquidate that asset? The home was awarded to me in the final divorce decree.

Attorney Answers 3


Your refusal to follow the first order and again is not double jeopardy. She can attach the house with a judgment and may be able to force it's sale. For your own good consult a local attorney quick.

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced since 1974. I practice in Los Angeles and Orange County, CA. These answers do not create an attorney client relationship. My answers may offend I believe in telling the truth, I use common sense as well as the law. Other state's laws may differ.. There are a lot of really good attorneys on this site, I will do limited appearances which are preparation of court documents it is , less expensive. However generally I believe an attorney is better than none, but many will offer a free consultation and a face to face meeting generally will be better, I like my clients to write a short one page history of the fact and questions they have prior to meeting with them, so nothing is forgotten.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree




So you are saying that I can be found in contempt for failure to pay and then again for failure to cure after a Judge's Order?

Diane L Gruber

Diane L Gruber


Yes, you can. You REALLY need to take all the facts and documents to a local attorney for review. At this stage in the legal process, you should not be relying on website advice.


Attorney Cohen offers you excellent advice. The situation is not one where "double jeopardy" is applicable. It sounds like the Judge was actually giving you the opportunity to get spousal support under control. You need to contact a local family law attorney to discuss your options. Best of luck.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.

Mark as helpful

7 lawyers agree


Yes, you can. This is not "double jeopardy" in any way. Double jeopardy refers to a situation where you're accused of a crime, put on trial, acquitted, and then put on trial for the same incident again. This is not that. For one thing, contempt of court is not strictly a "crime," but rather, an inherent use of the court's power to enforce its orders. Second, you weren't acquitted of wrongdoing - just the opposite. Finally, there are two separate acts of defiance here you're discussing: the original failure to pay, and a subsequent refusal to follow the orders remedying that. It's like asking if you can be charged with two crimes if you break the law, get sent to prison, and then escape from prison. The escape is a separate crime.

If your ex-spouse has a judgment against you, then it could potentially be used to force the sale of your house, provided that the judgment is for more than $3,000 and the house is worth more than the $30,000 "homestead exemption". In practice, if you have more than $30,000 equity in the house, you might do better to refinance the house or take out a home equity line of credit so you can pay the support obligation, and keep the house.

Follow the court's orders to the best of your ability. That is the only advice an attorney can give in this situation.

Please read the following notice: <br> <br> Jay Bodzin is licensed to practice law in the State of Oregon and the Federal District of Oregon, and cannot give advice about the laws of other jurisdictions. All comments on this site are intended for informational purposes only, and are not intended to constitute legal advice, create an attorney-client relationship, or solicit business. No posts or comments on this site are in any way confidential. Each case is unique. Information not contained in these posts may create significant exceptions to the advice provided in any response. You are advised to have counsel at all stages of any legal proceeding, and to speak with your own lawyer in private to get advice about your specific situation. <br> <br>

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree

Civil motions topics

Recommended articles about Civil motions

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics