Can I be forced to do a deposition?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Dayton, OH

My company has been involved in a class action lawsuit for the past few years. Just recently, the court ruled that the class WAS NOT certified, yet the plaintiff is still pushing to settle on behalf of the class, he has threatened costly litigation if we don't settle (even though I thought we already won). NOW he is asking for more discovery, and trying to depose me. I feel like this is his way of trying to bully me. What if I refuse? My attorneys suggest I do it, but of course they will make like $5000, so its a conflict of interest if you ask me.

1. Herman Gene Burkett Jr.

2

Answered . The fact that it was not certified as a class does not mean that individuals can bring claims individually. So yes, if there is a case proceeding they probably can take your deposition. You should be able to trust your attorney's advice. If you don't, that is an entirely different issue.

2. Ronald Lee Burdge

Answered . Winning the certification motion just means there is no class action for now but it does not make the case go away because individual claims in the case can continue. In that event, the parties still have the right to engage in discovery, which includes appropriate depositions, subject to court monitoring and control. Your best advice is likely to be from your current attorney since no attorney on the internet will know your case as well as the attorney you already have working on it. You can always get a second opinion if you wish but the place to start, in order to understand both the law and your situation, is always by asking your current attorney. If this answer was helpful, please give a “Vote UP” review below. And be sure to mark the answer that you think was the best so we can all be sure we are doing good work. Thanks for asking and good luck. Ron Burdge, www.OhioClassAction.com

3. Charles B. Upton II

1

Answered . Listen to your attorney or find one you trust. It is impossible for us to know all the details of your case. As a general matter, it is fairly easy to make someone sit for a deposition.