Can I be fired or let go from my job in New Mexico for refusing to sign a non-disclosure and non-compete agreement?

Albuquerque, NM |

The company I work for is a wholesale jewelry manufacturer and has recently told all of the employees that we must sign a combined non-disclosure and non-complete agreement (it's 2 pages long of legal speak).

I'm concerned that this contract will interfere with my ability to sell Avon (who also sells jewelry)...I've been an Avon rep since 2005...three years prior to my employment with this jewelry company in New Mexico.

There is a chance that your concern over your employer's non-disclosure/non-compete interfering with your ability to sell similar products through Avon is founded. To be sure you should have a local attorney review the entire agreement. You may also consider talking to your employer to see if an exception can be made depending on the degree of overlap between their sales (wholesale) and your own, which may be minimal. To answer your question, however, it is very likely that they can terminate you for failure to sign the agreement if you are an at-will employee.