Can I be fired from my federal employment for using medical marijuana?

Asked over 1 year ago - San Francisco, CA

I am a federal employee in a non drug testing position. Can I face any repercussions for attaining a medical card and using medical marijuana?

1. Marilynn Mika Spencer

4

1

Answered . Of course you can. Federal law does not recognize medical marijuana use as an exception to the federal prohibition against marijuana possession, sales and use. Certainly you've read about the federal government's closures of dispensaries and even delivery services in California.

2. Patrick John Phillips

3

1

Answered . Yes, you can be fired. California legislation has been in the works to protect individuals using medical marijuana for a qualified disability, but even if that legislation passed (which itself is highly questionable), there is a conflict between state and federal law with regard to whether marijuana is legal in the first place. Given that use of marijuana is against federal law and you are a federal employee, I don't see the analysis is being any more complicated than that.

I hope this helps.

3. Jacob Iraj Kiani

Answered . Yes it is against federal law, and even if it weren't, a CA employer can still prefer to have drug free employees. It's not a protected class.

4. James M. Osak

1

1

Answered . YES. The FEDS have all sorts of extra
    employment restrictions than states
    or private employers. HOW is the
    "guberment" going to know . . .
    you going to advertise it in a
    newspaper? Do you have periodic
    "testing?" You can take a chance
    and get your MMC but remember
    that if tested (or "snitched" on)
    you COULD lose your position.