Can I be fired from my current job due to a filing a lawsuit against a previous employer?

Seattle, WA |

I am thinking about filing a lawsuit against my previous employer because I received a threatening text from one of my managers. I spoke to my head manager and said it was filed with HR. I quite the job because I could not work for the management team anymore. I just recently found out that HR was never contacted, and the managers never filed the paperwork. I love my new job and would hate to put in jeopardy due to a "whistleblowing" case.

1. As a general rule, unless you are in a union job, you can be fired for any reason or no reason at all in WA. The only exceptions are that you can't be fired for an illegal reason (i.e. because of your race, gender, nationality, sexual identity, age, etc.). You also have certain protections against retaliation for engaging in certain behaviors (whistleblowing, union organizing, other...). But filing a lawsuit against a former employer is not protected activity and could hypothetically result in your termination from your current employer.