Can I be fired for not being at staff meeting if I have ADA accommodation?Is having to go over meeting with me an undue hardship

Asked 7 months ago - Newtown, PA

My doctor has stated that I cannot drive before 11 a.m. He supports an accommodated schedule. I am doing full time work in less time due to having a shortened work schedule.

1. Mishka L Marshall

Pro

4

1

Answered . The answer to your question will depend on a number of factors, such as whether your employer has actually provided you with an accommodation, whether your attendance at the staff meeting is required for you to perform your job, whether any accommodation you are being provided is reasonable, and how much more your employer may need to do to accommodate you. Talk to a local employment attorney about the details. After gathering the details, the attorney can advise you about your situation. Good luck.

2. Christopher Edward Ezold

Pro

Answered . I am an attorney licensed in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, and the States of Delaware and New Jersey. My practice includes employment, business and health care law. Before I respond to your inquiry, I must state that we have not spoken, I have not reviewed the relevant documents and facts, and I do not represent you. Therefore, my discussion below is not a legal opinion, but is informational only. Finally, my discussion applies only to issues to which Pennsylvania, Delaware, New Jersey or Federal law applies.

That being said, the answer is "maybe." It's impossible to judge whether missing the meeting is an undue hardship without knowing more about your position, the business and what transpires at the meetings. It is very possible that this is an 'undue hardship' - you may have to get creative with regard to how you address a potential accommodation. You should speak with an employment attorney ASAP.

/Christopher E. Ezold/

3. Edward Clement Sweeney

Pro

Answered . Have you give the Employer his note? If you did, I think you have a good argument they need to accommodate your disability. It doesn't instinctively seem that a staff meeting to be scheduled after 11 a.m would cause and undue hardship.