Can i be fired for clogged toilets?

New York, NY |

My employer is accusing me of leaving the toilet in a disgusting state which I have not done at all. They are seeking termination despite my testimony. Other employees are using the same toilet area and there are different stools there.

Yes, you can be fired for clogging the toilet. You can also be fired for not clogging a toilet. So long as your employer is not discriminating against you because of your age, religion, national origin, gender or sexual preference. he or she may fire you. I

If you'd like to discuss, please feel free to call. Jeff Gold Gold, Benes, LLP 1854 Bellmore Ave Bellmore, NY 11710 Telephone -516.512.6333 Email - Jgold@goldbenes.com

Unless you have a contract, you are an at-will employee and therefore can be fired for any reason or no reason so long as it is not an unconstitutional reason such as based on race, gender, religion, etc.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

Yes, although it is unfair and ridiculous, it would be legal in New York State to fire you for that unless, perhaps, the toilet clog was as a result of some disability you suffer from.

This answer does not constitute legal advice and you should contact an attorney to confirm or research further any statements made in this answer. Any statements of fact or law I have made in this answer pertain solely to New York State and should not be relied upon in any way in any other jurisdiction. Additionally, we also encourage you to reach out to us via Twitter (https://twitter.com/#!/WhiteRoseMarks) or Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/WhiteRoseMarks) if you have follow up questions as we do not monitor questions after providing an initial answer.