Can I be evicted?

Asked about 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

I am currently on a month to month lease in a rent controlled apartment. Can my landlord only evict me if I breach the lease agreement or can he essentially kick me out for whatever reason, as long as he gives the proper notice?

Would it make a difference if I was not under rent control (as my neighbor is not).

Thank you for the help.

1. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

2

Answered . Yes. If you are a month to month tenant, the landlord can terminate the month to month tenancy by giving you a 30 day notice (or 60 day notice if you have been a tenant for more than 12 months).

The landlord can also terminate the tenancy by serving you with a 3 day notice to pay rent or quit, or a 3 day notice to perform covenant or quit if you are in breach of the lease agreement.

If your rental unit is rent controlled, the landlord must pay you relocation assistance if the tenant is not at fault. See:

http://lahd.lacity.org/lahdinternet/LinkClick.a...

2. Brad S Kane

Pro

1

Answered . If your dwelling unit is covered by the City of Los Angeles Rent Stabilization Ordinance (RSO), you can ONLY be evicted for specified reasons. The reasons and the type of notice required are set forth at the link below.

If the eviction is not based upon tenant fault, then the landlord is also required to pay relocation assistance.