Can i be enhanced to a felony without being charged for the misdeminor

Asked over 1 year ago - San Angelo, TX

i got a crimminal tresspaing charge in october and a theft in november they alredy had me sceduled for court for the crimminal tresspasing when i went the county attorney said they didnt have the paper work for the theft yet to come back in two weeks to discuss it and i did they said they were giving it to the da for enhancement because of my priors that was in december and i still havent been chatged with the theft yet is it true that in 90 days they cant charge me with it

1. Richard Timothy Jones

2

Answered . No. The 90 days applies if you were in jail. The stature of limitations for a felony is a minimum of 2 years.
    www.austincriminaldefenseattorney.com
    Austin Felony Lawyer

2. Evan Edward Pierce-Jones

1

Answered . Does the DA only have 90 days to charge a person with a felony theft based on a defendant having 2 prior theft convictions plus the new theft charge? Answer: No. For felony theft, the DA typically has 5 years from the date of the offene to charge the defendant.

My practice is headquartered in San Angelo. So, based on many, many years practicing here, I will add that what you describe sounds like a routine referral of a case from County Attorney Chris Taylor's office to the DA's office.

You really do need to get a criminal defense lawyer working on this for you now.

For more information about the criminal court system, you may want to visit my website, http://www.epjlaw.com

3. Michael Douglas Shafer

1

Answered . Yes; a routine referral to the DA. You need counsel.