Can I be deported if I answered yes to a question on the US citizenship questionaire?

Cleveland, OH |

I obtained employment by saying I was a US citizen. (I did not want to lie I could have)
I had my green card and have been here in the US for 20 years.
I have no criminal record have always paid my taxes etc.
Must appear in court end August in Cleveland

There are a couple issues here. First, when did this happen? If the false calim to US citizenship happened before April 1, 1997 it is not a permanent bar. Second, if you were already a permanent resident it may not be a material issue. Third, if the false claim occurred more than five years before you filed your application for citizenship it may not be an automatic bar to the good moral character requirement. The fact that you were truthful on the N-400 is what is required. You will most likely need an attorney to help if immigration decides to place you into removal proceedings. But once again, everything depends on when the false claim happened.

The answer provided here is general in nature and does not take into account other factors that may need to be reviewed for a more precise answer. You should consult with an immigration attorney before taking any action. The answer here is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.

Yes you can be ordered removed. Its considered a false claim to citizenship. You need to retain competent and experienced deportation counsel asap.

We would need to know when the "I am a US citizen" pretense took place and whether you immediately ran to correct the misinformation when discovered, to answer you question.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Depends on when it happened.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through http://www.ailalawyer.com.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

As my colleagues pointed out ... we need to know more about exactly what happened.

GET A LAWYER ... a false claim to US citizenship is a lifetime, permanent, bar from the US.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

Make sure you hire an attorney close to you before going to your hearing. False claim to US citizenship is very serious! Still not sure if the basis of you being placed in removal hearings is for making the false claim? If it is it really depends on what year you made the false claim.

You may have a significant issue with a false claim to US citizenship. You should have a consultation with an immigration attorney at the earliest possible time.

216.861.4414
immigration@rbrownllc.com
www.brown-immigration.com

Robert Brown LLC
1468 W.9th St., Suite 800
Cleveland, Ohio 44113

Tax law topics