Can i be deported from the US (Permanent resident) for a first DUI offence even tough i got a court supervision?

I was out of the country and when i came back the immigration officer after scanning my id stopped me and asked if i was arrested, I told him i got a DUI a year ago and he then told me that i can be deported from US and then took me to another room in the back and made me wait and took my green card and passport. Afte 10 mins another immigration officer came and gave me my documents back and told me i could go. This incident really scared me and i am wondering if they can really deport you for a DUI offence.

Arlington Heights, IL -

Michael Hugh Carlin

Michael Hugh Carlin

Immigration Attorney - Ann Arbor, MI

I agree with my colleagues. It appears that the first immigration officer was a bit overzealous. But you must keep in mind that there are many criminal offenses that CAN and DO lead to deportations. That is one of the reasons that naturalization might be a good idea, for those who qualify. I suggest you consult with an immigration attorney about your situation to prepare for a more secure future.

Karen-Lee Pollak

Karen-Lee Pollak

Immigration Attorney - Dallas, TX

You cannot be deported without getting notice of removal proceedings in most cases. It is unlikely you will be deported for a one time dui offense.

Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

Immigration Attorney - San Francisco, CA

For one DUI, unlikely. Bear in mind there are MANY criminal convictions which can lead to you being deported,

Dhenu Mitesh Savla

Dhenu Mitesh Savla

Immigration Attorney - Chicago, IL

Not likely for this. But I am glad the officer alerted you that green card holders can be deported in certain circumstances and for a number of crimes.

Dhenu Savla, Esq.
SwagatUSA, LLC
www.swagatusa.com/attorney

This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not meant to be relied upon as legal advice.
J Charles Ferrari

J Charles Ferrari

Immigration Attorney - Los Angeles, CA

If it was alcohol, most likely not. If it was drugs, possibly.

Richard Timothy Jones

Richard Timothy Jones

Criminal Defense Attorney - Austin, TX

A single DUI (for alcohol and not drugs) is not likely to get someone deported.
www.austincriminaldefenseattorney.com
Austin DWI Lawyer
Austin Jail Release and Bond Assistance
512-495-1813