Can i be deported from the US (Permanent resident) for a first DUI offence even tough i got a court supervision?

Arlington Heights, IL |

I was out of the country and when i came back the immigration officer after scanning my id stopped me and asked if i was arrested, I told him i got a DUI a year ago and he then told me that i can be deported from US and then took me to another room in the back and made me wait and took my green card and passport. Afte 10 mins another immigration officer came and gave me my documents back and told me i could go. This incident really scared me and i am wondering if they can really deport you for a DUI offence.

I agree with my colleagues. It appears that the first immigration officer was a bit overzealous. But you must keep in mind that there are many criminal offenses that CAN and DO lead to deportations. That is one of the reasons that naturalization might be a good idea, for those who qualify. I suggest you consult with an immigration attorney about your situation to prepare for a more secure future.

(734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the office. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.

You cannot be deported without getting notice of removal proceedings in most cases. It is unlikely you will be deported for a one time dui offense.

For one DUI, unlikely. Bear in mind there are MANY criminal convictions which can lead to you being deported,

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 s.ouya@mainalaw.com Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104

If it was alcohol, most likely not. If it was drugs, possibly.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

A single DUI (for alcohol and not drugs) is not likely to get someone deported.
www.austincriminaldefenseattorney.com
Austin DWI Lawyer
Austin Jail Release and Bond Assistance
512-495-1813

My answers are intended only as general legal advice and are not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for a full consultation with a local experienced criminal defense attorney. For more answers based on my 19 years of experience visit my website, www.austincriminaldefenseattorney.com

Not likely for this. But I am glad the officer alerted you that green card holders can be deported in certain circumstances and for a number of crimes.

Dhenu Savla, Esq.
SwagatUSA, LLC
www.swagatusa.com/attorney

This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not meant to be relied upon as legal advice.

DUI topics