Can I be deported for one single moral turpitude crime? Does ICE show up during a sentence hearing?

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

I've been a legal resident for 3 years. On my first day of court, I met other 30 guys who were also in court for solicitation. Some of them plead guilty during the arraignment and got community labor plus two years probation. I and other defendants hired the services of a PD, hoping to get a better deal. We were sent to different courtrooms, and I was advised to wait for the new diversion program that the city is planning to implement for my charge. I waited for the program, but after 90 days nothing happened. The judge told my PD that I had two choices: Go to trial or plead. She advised me to plead to avoid jail time. I pleaded no contest, but I noticed that the judge did not stated my sentence at the spot like other judges did with the other defendants. My sentence hearing is in 30 days.

1. 3

1

Answered . That depends on the language of the statute you plead no contest to. No, ICE does not usually show up during sentencing hearings.

2. 4

1

Answered . Without knowing the exact statute you are being charged with its difficult to be certain, but most solicitation charges ARE of moral turpitude. There's even a 9 th circuit case that addresses a California statute. If the terms of the agreement are crafted correctly, you may either avoid a crime of moral turpitude or may qualify for the petty offense exception, depending on your criminal history. A true diversion might be a great deal but you must make sure it's crafted correctly and you cannot plead guilty or no contest. Frankly you need a good immigration attorney who knows criminal issues in your jurisdiction. I strongly recommend you seek an attorney in this case. You can really come out on top in this case, no pun intended, with a good crimmigration attorney.

3. 4

Answered . Consult an immigration attorney.

4. 1

Answered . Need more specific info...speak to immigration lawyer

www.BulgarianImmigrationLawyer.com

John Lassen 1-877-252-4630