Can I be deported for one single moral turpitude crime? Does ICE show up during a sentence hearing?

Asked 10 months ago - Los Angeles, CA

I've been a legal resident for 3 years. On my first day of court, I met other 30 guys who were also in court for solicitation. Some of them plead guilty during the arraignment and got community labor plus two years probation. I and other defendants hired the services of a PD, hoping to get a better deal. We were sent to different courtrooms, and I was advised to wait for the new diversion program that the city is planning to implement for my charge. I waited for the program, but after 90 days nothing happened. The judge told my PD that I had two choices: Go to trial or plead. She advised me to plead to avoid jail time. I pleaded no contest, but I noticed that the judge did not stated my sentence at the spot like other judges did with the other defendants. My sentence hearing is in 30 days.

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

3

1

Answered . That depends on the language of the statute you plead no contest to. No, ICE does not usually show up during sentencing hearings.

2. J. Christopher Keen

Pro

4

1

Answered . Without knowing the exact statute you are being charged with its difficult to be certain, but most solicitation charges ARE of moral turpitude. There's even a 9 th circuit case that addresses a California statute. If the terms of the agreement are crafted correctly, you may either avoid a crime of moral turpitude or may qualify for the petty offense exception, depending on your criminal history. A true diversion might be a great deal but you must make sure it's crafted correctly and you cannot plead guilty or no contest. Frankly you need a good immigration attorney who knows criminal issues in your jurisdiction. I strongly recommend you seek an attorney in this case. You can really come out on top in this case, no pun intended, with a good crimmigration attorney.

3. Alexander Joseph Segal

4

Answered . Consult an immigration attorney.

4. John K Lassen

1

Answered . Need more specific info...speak to immigration lawyer

www.BulgarianImmigrationLawyer.com

John Lassen 1-877-252-4630