Can I be deported back to the US from france since my college kicked me out?

New York, NY |

I came to France to get my masters but my school kicked me out since the school policy was to pay tuition in full and not just by government loans. Now I'm still here trying to work but can't afford to leave right away. I'm currently sick and need a french social but I fear going to the immigration and being deported. I want to change my visa from student to working while I'm here. My family can only afford to get me a airplane ticket home in April. My roommate says I should go back to my school and get my immigration paperwork back but I have a feeling the school would report me for being here still. What should I do? And am I right to not want to go back to the school for my paperwork? As well as can I get deported because I'm still here?

1. Since you are dealing with immigration law in France, you should contact a French immigration lawyer to answer your questions.

Legal disclaimer: By answering this question, there is no intention to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. An attorney-client relationship has not been formed. The answer is not intended as anything other than the opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The answer given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change.

2. You must contact a local lawyer who is familiar with the French laws on the subject.

3. You need the help of a French immigration lawyer since this has to do with immigration laws applicable to foreign students in France.

I don't know which city you are in France. I don't want to automatically assume "Paris".
    GOOGLE "avocats d'emigration" for the city you are currently in.

You can also search our very own American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) at
    www.aila.org. and conduct a search for lawyers in Paris, France. those are AILA member lawyers working in France and are fluent in both languages and in FRENCH immigration laws. They represent American citizens in France and should be immediately able to assist you further.

Good luck!

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Education law topics