Can i be denied a puppy in my apartment if others have a dog?

Asked over 2 years ago - Hayward, CA

my lease which i signed in 2007-2008 states that dogs are allowed but must be 20 pounds or under with $250 deposit. my landlord said NO to the pug puppy because he claims they will make a mess on the wood floor he put in. I said lease allows dogs but he said if he had it his way he would have no dogs. do i have right to a puppy or not. he stated i could have the pug only when it becomes an adult and is no longer a puppy. who is right?

1. Michael Austin Hackard

Pro

2

Answered . A puppy is a dog. I'm assuming that your puppy is 20 pounds or under. If your lease requires a $250 pet deposit and you have paid the deposit it would appear that you meet the terms of the lease. This is truly dependent on the terms of the lease - not whether the manager likes dogs or not (although ill will from the manager can certainly have some practical effects).

2. John Addison Vos

2

Answered . you can have a pug. the lease allows dogs. any kind of dogs, so long as they are under 20 pounds. Pugs are always under 20 pounds.
    the landlord did not have a clause in the lease saying no puppies.
    but the landlord could change the lease, ask you to leave, and so forth. is it worth the hassle?

3. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

1

Answered . Yes, you can be denied the right to have a puppy if you are a renter. (The law is different if you were an owner within an HOA in California).

4. Laura Mcfarland-Taylor

1

1

Answered . If the lease says you can have a dog if it is under 20 pounds and you pay a $250 deposit, then you can have a dog (and a puppy is a dog) that is under 20 pounds and you pay the $250 deposit. I suggest you send the deposit to the management company directly and not give it to your manager. You should also include a letter with the check stating that this is a deposit for your dog. If they company refuses to accept the check, you should speak with a local attorney. The State Bar of California can give you a referral: www.calbar.ca.gov/

If we do not have a signed fee agreement I am not your attorney and this is not legal advice.