Can i be convicted of a 1543b1 in pa after my 1 yr suspension was over?

Brownsville, PA |

My suspension was over 12-28-2011. I have not restored my license due to insurance issues and not completing my d&a assesment. I was charged in august of 2012 with a 1543b1. Can i still be convicted even tho my suspension is over or should it be a lesser charger of say a 1543a?

I'm sorry to report but the DUI related suspension will continue until your license is restored. You should retain an experienced criminal defense attorney to represent you.

I recall finding a case law that said i cannot be convicted of that after my 1yr suspension was over but only during my 1 yr suspension..

Robert C. Keller

Robert C. Keller

You are incorrect.

K thanx for the information

Your duspension is not over until you have taken the steps necessary for restoration and received your neely issued license. For that reason you could have a DUI-suspended license indefinitely.

Until your license is restored by PENDOTT and you physically have your license back the DUI related suspension remains. I would contact an criminal defense attorney immediately and discuss all of your options.

I agree with the other attorneys, it absolutely is a 1543(b) unless and until you have your license fully restored. The only additional comment I can offer is that you should hire an experienced attorney in your area, because there is a very small chance that he/she could negotiate a plea to a 1543(a) or otherwise under these circumstances where you have served the full DUI suspension. Again, this is not a legal challenge, but rather a plea for leniency. If this is not possible in your locale, ask your attorney about possible sentencing alternatives such as house arrest.

This is a response to a general question and is not legal advice and does not constitute legal representation.