Can i be compensated from the bottom of a what seemed to be normal glass cup falling off completely, and cutting my finger?

Asked over 1 year ago - Clermont, FL

I was washing dishes and the whole bottom of the glass cup slid off and cut my finger . It did not break in the sink , i was simply holding the cup in my hand and it slid right off ! ! ! I had to go to the hospital with no insurance , and get 3 - rays and 5 stitches ! the doctor said it was cut nearly to the bone . My nerve in my finger was damaged and now i have a funny tingling sensation in my arm starting from my thumb , and shooting upward . Please help ! !

1. Scott Michael McPherson

Pro

9

Answered . This would come under the area of product liability law, and there are a lot of questions. The most important thing for now is to preserve the glass and it's pieces in it's exact state. Put everything aside where it will not be further damaged. How long have you owned the glass? Did you buy it new? How old is it? In short, if you suffered nerve damage or other residual complications from a defective glass then yes, you could very well have a product liability case that would justify the expense of time and litigation. You should consult with an attorney who does product liability cases. On my website, I have a page dedicated to product liability law if you'd like to read more.

Attorney Scott McPherson practices personal injury law in New Port Richey, FL, as well as the entire Tampa Bay area. He has experience litigating in State & Federal Court, as well as Florida's 2d District Court of Appeals. Answers provided by Attorney McPherson are not to be deemed legal advice, as it would be impossible to analyze the merits of a case based on a single forum question. No attorney-client relationship is created or implied by Attorney McPherson's responses.

2. Rachelle Renee Bocksch

9

Answered . Possibly. If this was a new glass you had recently purchased, you may have a product liability claim. The longer you owned and used the glass, the harder it may be to prove this was a defective product. I would suggest you contact a personal injury attorney as soon as possible. Most importantly, do NOT throw out the glass. This will be critical evidence in the event there is a case. I wish you the best of luck.

3. Michael R Crosner

8

Answered . I agree with the excellent response given my my fellow attorney regarding retaining the glass in a protected environment. Additionally, I would recommend taking numerous photos of the glass container & the broken pieces - but by very careful not to further damage your evidence. Also photos of your injury should be taken. Be sure & contact local personal injury counsel. Best wishes

Pro

7

Answered . A defective product lawyer in your state can be retained to investigate, and make sure you save the glass.

5. John Paul Thygerson

Pro

6

Answered . I agree with my colleagues.

6. Samuel Aaron Coffey

Answered . I don think that you will be able to recover unless this is a fairly new glass. Over time through use and washing the glass may have been damaged. Unless you can prove that it was in its original condition just before your injury the case may be impossible to prove.