Can i be charged with felon in possesion of fire arm

Angola, IN |

A search warrant was issued on my parents home looking for stolen water meaters and related material. In my room under a few pieces of clothes a pistol was found and some merijuana was also found inside of a droor. I know that these items can be siezed but can i be charged since they were not items listed on the search warrant. I was only charged with possesion of merijuana but not the gun. Y?

1. Yes, you could be charged, and the fact that the police were not listed is probably not going to help. But you need an attorney. Now. Do not wait until you get arrested and the charging decision has been made. Good luck.

The response I have provided is general in nature, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. My practice is based in Rhode Island, and the law and practice in other states or jurisdictions may be different.

2. It depends entirely on the facts of the case and the details of the search warrant. It is possible that this evidence could be suppressed, it is also possible that it was found and seized properly. It is also possible that despite not being charged with the gun at this point, you could still face charges for being in illegal possession of a firearm. These are all details an attorney could answer for you. You need to hire an attorney as soon as possible.

3. In order to be charged as a felon in possession of a firearm, you must first be a felon. You do not state whether you have been so convicted.

The foregoing is for general information purposes and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

4. Yes, you can be charges with what they find while conducting a lawful search for other items.