Can I be charged with criminal trespassing at home?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Dacula, GA

I got into an argument with my mother and got really mad. I ended up punching a hole in the wall. My mother called the police on me.I got arrested and stayed in jail for a whole night. I am 17. Is it possible to get this charge when I stay the home where it took place?

Attorney answers (7)

  1. 5

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes, you can. The charge stems from you punching the hole in the wall. An experienced lawyer may be able to help you get this charge dismissed. Please let me know if I can be of assistance.

  2. 5

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes, for damaging the wall.

  3. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes, the "trespass" with which you are charged doesn't mean being somewhere you aren't supposed to be, it means damaging someone else's property. In this case, you damaged the wall of the home belonging to your parents. You need to speak with a lawyer about any defenses, and you need to repair your relationship with your mother if there is not a court order of no contact. If you would like to discuss your case in depth, feel free to give me a call for a free consultation. My number is 678-636-9224.

  4. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The others are absolutely correct, and the charge is proper. However, this is the type of case which could easily be resolved through pretrial diversion so that it does not go on your record.

    The above information is general in nature. In order to obtain more specific and legal advice upon which to base... more
  5. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If a restraining order was issued against you, then possibly. But, since you are a minor, your parent(s) have the legal obligation to provide you housing, unless they have been legally relieved of that obligation by a court order.

    If you have further questions, call me at 770-904-5115. The information and opinion rendered herein is done as a... more
  6. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Just because you live there does not make the wall your property. I assume that this is your mother's house that you live in. Therefore, it is her property. If she rents the property, the wall you damaged is both her property and the landlord's property. Therefore, you can be prosecuted and found guilty for damaging your mother's wall in the house in which you reside.

    Allen R. Knox
    125 TownPark Drive, Suite 300
    Kennesaw, GA 30144
    (678) 334-1399

  7. Answered . The short answer is: YES. Most people think that "Criminal Trespass" means you are trespassing on someones property - or being where your not supposed to be. This isn't correct in your situation. The Criminal Trespass is based on your punching a hole in the wall. The damage to the wall is the Criminal trespass. In my experience you may be able to get these charges resolved if you retain an experienced Criminal Defense Attorney. I would also advise that you work to improve your relationship with your Mother - completing an Anger Management Class might be a very good choice. Finally, if you are able to get the charges Dismissed, you should look into having the charges Expunged from your Criminal Record. Any Criminal Conviction will remain on your record for the rest of your life! The Georgia Expungement law will change July 1st, so time is of the essence in this regard. I hope this information has been helpful to you. Good Luck!!! George McCranie

    The information provided in this response to a question is not legal advise and is provided only for general... more

Related Topics

Criminal defense

Criminal law establishes the classifications of crimes, how guilt or innocence is determined, and the types of punishment or rehabilitation that may be imposed.

Criminal charges

Criminal charges are formal accusations in court that someone has committed a crime. Criminal charges have many classifications and degrees of severity.

Daniel P. Hilf

Driving While License Suspended

Driving While License Suspended or Revoked in Michigan is a misdemeanor offense (according to MCL 257.904(3)(a)) that carries a maximum potential jail sentence of up to 93 days, and/or a... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

34,452 answers this week

3,770 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

34,452 answers this week

3,770 attorneys answering