Can I be charged with a DUI after the fact?

Asked almost 5 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

I hit a car, with my car and did some damage to the other car. The driver got out and began screaming at me, I could not find my insurance information, he became irrate, I left the scene. I now want to go to the police station and file a report and also find out if he did, and get his contact information and do the right thing, unfortunately my memory of exactly where the accident occured is blurred, and so are the details of the accident. I am not quite sure what to tell the police without incriminating myself, but I need to take responsibility for this and contact the other party. I am not sure how to handle this.

Additional information

I am not sure if this matters but I have a clean driving record

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Matthew Edward Williamson

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . I agree with Attorney Buckley's answer and would add that you probably can not be charged with a DUI under these facts (your original question), but should contact a defense attorney immediately, before you might be placed under arrest for hit and run.

    Consider Ed Blum, he is a poster on AVVO, has a profile up and is an attorney in your area that handles these.

    Good luck with your situation.

    Matthew Williamson

  2. Terry Alan Wapner


    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . You absolutly need to consult with a DUI attorney prior to contacting the police. They can charge you with a DUI and they may be able to circumstantially prove it. Having said that, however, it may be much more difficult to prove unless they have you at or near the time of the collision. You need to consult with an attorney who can best advise you in order to minimize your "exposure".

  3. John Lawrence Buckley

    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . You need to consult immediately with local counsel BEFORE you go to the police and make any kind of statement. You may face charges other than DUI under these circumstances.

    The longer you wait, the worse things could become. Call someone tomorrow!

    Best of luck.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,521 answers this week

3,057 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,521 answers this week

3,057 attorneys answering