Can I be charged for contributing to the delinquency of a minor

Lima, OH |

My cousin called me and asked me if i wanted to ride around with him i said sure so i got in the car we drove around for a bit and then he was taking me home as we pulled in my drive way ith the car parked and shut off a cop turned on his lights and approached the vehicle see me having no Idea these two are under age and why would i care i was simply riding with and had no knowledge of their age they said they pulled us over because his vehicle smelled of marijuana and they could smell it from two car lengths away and our windows were up anyway they then proceeded to search us which is when they discovered that the girls were underage that had been riding with my cousin they proceeded to search the car with no evidence found the then arrested me for contributing to the delequincy of minor

Your best bet is to get an attorney. Discuss all of the issues in private with your attorney. You can be charged with anything, but the prosecutor has to show probable cause in order to move forward. Your attorney can explain this. Remember get an attorney now, not later and protect your legal rights.

This is not legal advice only general information. Should you seek legal advice you should talk personally with an attorney.

Although you do not specify what the police found in the vehicle or other operative facts (and you do NOT want to do that here anyhow), there is nothing to stop the prosecutor from charging you. However, that does not mean that they can prove the charges. There may be search issues and other possible defenses which may help you avoid any conviction.

The legal issues (like "plain smell") in your case appear to be complex and will require analysis by an experienced criminal defense attorney who is also familiar with your local court system, prosecutors and judges. Contact a lawyer immediately and do not speak with anyone about the facts of your case until then.

Dan J. Weisenburger
Attorney at Law

The simple answer is is that the police and charged with contributing to the delinquency of a minor, since you were the adult in the car. This is not a good situation to be in. I suggest that you obtain legal counsel immediately. My colleagues who have also answered this question are correct.
In addition, if you are in a car with third parties and they engage in illegal acts, it is common for all parties in a vehicle to be charged with conspiracy or complicity to those acts. In other words, you can also be charged with use or possession of marijuana, which carries significant implications in Ohio to your drivers license and since you are an adult carries far more severe penalties for you than for the juveniles in the vehicle. They get charged in the juvenile court. You get charged in municipal court.
My suggestion is that you lawyer up. Good luck.

The answers to questions provided in response to the request for assistance are general in nature, and reflect information which is primarily based upon general legal principals, and may additionally reflect Ohio principles of legal practice, as this is the primary location of this Attorney's practice. As with any legal advice, the advise is general in character, and should not be put into practice without specifically consulting your local counsel, who will possess far more insight into the applicable standards and laws of your specific State, your case's specific issues and the local Rules of Court and practices of the specific jurisdiction your legal action is governed by. You are specifically instructed : Do not proceed without first discussing this matter with your own local Attorney. Provision of the answers to general questions does not constitute an act of representation, and the Attorney shall not be deemed to accept employment based upon the responses contained herein. The reader is advised that they utilize the general suggestions contained in the responses at their own risk, and under no circumstances should they disregard the advise of their present local legal counsel based upon any suggestions or opinions contained herein. Also, the bast method to discuss a case with an attorney is to do so directly, by scheduling a formal consultation in their office, bringing with you at the time of the meeting all of your relevant paperwork, including any contratcs, any Orders from Court, decrees, complaints, pleadings, etc., and any other relevant information for the attorney to review. General information via the internet is no substitute for an actual meeting with an attorney. The advice provided is provided without charge. It is also provided without the benefit of face to face discussions, so before you act--consult an attorney in person.

I was not the oldest person in the car my cousin was he is 26