Can I be charged for contributing to the delinquency of a minor

Asked over 2 years ago - Lima, OH

My cousin called me and asked me if i wanted to ride around with him i said sure so i got in the car we drove around for a bit and then he was taking me home as we pulled in my drive way ith the car parked and shut off a cop turned on his lights and approached the vehicle see me having no Idea these two are under age and why would i care i was simply riding with and had no knowledge of their age they said they pulled us over because his vehicle smelled of marijuana and they could smell it from two car lengths away and our windows were up anyway they then proceeded to search us which is when they discovered that the girls were underage that had been riding with my cousin they proceeded to search the car with no evidence found the then arrested me for contributing to the delequincy of minor

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Danny James Weisenburger

    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . Although you do not specify what the police found in the vehicle or other operative facts (and you do NOT want to do that here anyhow), there is nothing to stop the prosecutor from charging you. However, that does not mean that they can prove the charges. There may be search issues and other possible defenses which may help you avoid any conviction.

    The legal issues (like "plain smell") in your case appear to be complex and will require analysis by an experienced criminal defense attorney who is also familiar with your local court system, prosecutors and judges. Contact a lawyer immediately and do not speak with anyone about the facts of your case until then.

    Dan J. Weisenburger
    Attorney at Law

  2. Curt Perri Bogen


    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . The simple answer is is that the police and charged with contributing to the delinquency of a minor, since you were the adult in the car. This is not a good situation to be in. I suggest that you obtain legal counsel immediately. My colleagues who have also answered this question are correct.
    In addition, if you are in a car with third parties and they engage in illegal acts, it is common for all parties in a vehicle to be charged with conspiracy or complicity to those acts. In other words, you can also be charged with use or possession of marijuana, which carries significant implications in Ohio to your drivers license and since you are an adult carries far more severe penalties for you than for the juveniles in the vehicle. They get charged in the juvenile court. You get charged in municipal court.
    My suggestion is that you lawyer up. Good luck.

    The answers to questions provided in response to the request for assistance are general in nature, and reflect... more
  3. Brenda E. Sprader

    Contributor Level 7

    Answered . Your best bet is to get an attorney. Discuss all of the issues in private with your attorney. You can be charged with anything, but the prosecutor has to show probable cause in order to move forward. Your attorney can explain this. Remember get an attorney now, not later and protect your legal rights.

    This is not legal advice only general information. Should you seek legal advice you should talk personally with an... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,966 answers this week

3,121 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,966 answers this week

3,121 attorneys answering