Can I be charged/convicted for animal cruelty?

El Paso, TX |

I adopted a dog from a dog shelter. That same day the dog ran away. While trying to retreive him he attempted to bite me twice And then ran off. He was hit by a car on the highway and taken to hospital. Now shelter wants to file charges against me for animal cruelty.

There doesn't seem to be enough to sustain the charge based on your version., unless it turns out that the dog ran away because you beat it; or were beating it when "trying to retrieve it". Consult with a criminal defense attorney to determine the local laws/statutes that define "animal cruelty" and to see what your exposure is.

If your locality has a leash law, you could be charged with that. Unless there is more to it, I do not see animal cruelty. Contact a criminal defense attorney. If you are a good animal lover, it is important that you not be found guilty of this charge.

On the facts as posted, that would be highly unlikely.