Can I be charged/convicted for animal cruelty?

Asked 6 months ago - El Paso, TX

I adopted a dog from a dog shelter. That same day the dog ran away. While trying to retreive him he attempted to bite me twice And then ran off. He was hit by a car on the highway and taken to hospital. Now shelter wants to file charges against me for animal cruelty.

Pro

2

Answered . On the facts as posted, that would be highly unlikely.

2. Jeffrey Ira Schwimmer

1

Answered . There doesn't seem to be enough to sustain the charge based on your version., unless it turns out that the dog ran away because you beat it; or were beating it when "trying to retrieve it". Consult with a criminal defense attorney to determine the local laws/statutes that define "animal cruelty" and to see what your exposure is.

3. Dennis Wayne Tackett

Pro

1

Answered . If your locality has a leash law, you could be charged with that. Unless there is more to it, I do not see animal cruelty. Contact a criminal defense attorney. If you are a good animal lover, it is important that you not be found guilty of this charge.