Can i be charged and arrested for going into a car i was permitted to be in although i was on camera?

New York, NY |
Filed under: Criminal defense

a friend had asked me to bring and sell him hockey tickets but was at work at the time so he left the mony in an envelope on his front seat with the amount of 200$ in it. when i got there i parked next to him got out walked to the drivers side door opened it looked for the envelope and it was there but with no money. i then left got back into my car which was parked right beside his... i told hom the money wasnt there and he came out.... then wen he was out i got bak out of my car to help him look for it but couldnt find it. now hes saying i stole the money from him and now since im on camera parking next to him and entering his car im scared i can be charged ALTHOUGHHH. i have plenty of text measages from him saying im ALLOWED to go into his car. i have a acod for sale of weed soimworried

1. (1) I would suggest not discussing this any further on a public forum in such detail. (2) If you are arrested do not say anything. (3) Retain an attorney.

2. Hockey tickets, all this aggravation? I'm tempted to say get the puck out of here.
    You should hire an aggressive attorney to nip this in the bud (not a weed joke). Your friend should be careful about making a false accusation.
    Clearly, he gave you permission to enter his vehicle.
    This guy is more of a weasel than friend...but get a lawyer on your side now.

Law Office Of Michael Marley
    Phone 917 853 4484

3. So far your friend hasn't told you that he is going to call the police. If you as worried as you seem I would be proactive & consult a local criminal attorney. Many offer free initial consultations. Meet with the attorney IN PRIVATE to discuss what to do if you are arrested (that way you will be prepared for the worst & have an attorney already retained to assist you) Do not discuss any more facts on this or any other public forum.

This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney . Be aware that every state has its own statute of limitations; and statutes & case laws that govern the handling of these matters.

4. You can be arrested for petit larceny although it may not be a strong case against you. If there are cameras you should retain a criminal defense lawyer to try and see the cameras show someone else going into the car before you.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.