Can I be barred from the US for lying on a visa application?

My non-immigrant work permit was approved by change of status in the US. I went to the foreign consulate to get the stamp placed in my passport and was denied. I made a huge mistake, I mistakenly took my original job offer with me, and not the letter saying i was currently employed. I had the softcopy of the letter from my boss on my computer, but no signature, so I copied his signature from a scan of another document. I talked to my boss, and he was cool about it, but he said the consulate already called him. He told them I was employed, but he sounded like the letter was a surprise and he wasnt sure he handled it well. 1. Could that cause me to be barred from ever getting a visa again? 2. Would it come up on my immigrant file in the consulates system during future visa applications?

New York, NY -

Carl Michael Shusterman

Carl Michael Shusterman

Immigration Attorney - Los Angeles, CA

Yes, there is a permanent bar for fraud. After a while, you may qualify for a waiver.

Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

---------
Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
https://shusterman.com/intake-secure.html
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: www.shusterman.com (English)
www.inmigracion-abogado.com (Spanish)

Alexander Joseph Segal

Alexander Joseph Segal

Immigration Attorney - New York, NY

This is not a general question. You are asking for a consultation. No problem, but not on AVVO. AVVO is a free general legal information blog, not a substitute for legal advice. Hire an immigration attorney for that. As to the answer to a general question in the title of your post, yes, absolutely.

J Charles Ferrari

J Charles Ferrari

Immigration Attorney - Los Angeles, CA

The government takes fraud very seriously.

Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

Immigration Attorney - San Francisco, CA

Yes