Can I be barred from the US for lying on a visa application?

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

My non-immigrant work permit was approved by change of status in the US. I went to the foreign consulate to get the stamp placed in my passport and was denied. I made a huge mistake, I mistakenly took my original job offer with me, and not the letter saying i was currently employed. I had the softcopy of the letter from my boss on my computer, but no signature, so I copied his signature from a scan of another document. I talked to my boss, and he was cool about it, but he said the consulate already called him. He told them I was employed, but he sounded like the letter was a surprise and he wasnt sure he handled it well.

1. Could that cause me to be barred from ever getting a visa again?
2. Would it come up on my immigrant file in the consulates system during future visa applications?

Additional information

How can i know if there is fraud on my file? Would they have informed me when I was denied?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Carl Michael Shusterman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes, there is a permanent bar for fraud. After a while, you may qualify for a waiver.

    Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: (English) (Spanish)

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration... more
  2. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . This is not a general question. You are asking for a consultation. No problem, but not on AVVO. AVVO is a free general legal information blog, not a substitute for legal advice. Hire an immigration attorney for that. As to the answer to a general question in the title of your post, yes, absolutely.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866)... more
  3. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The government takes fraud very seriously.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more
  4. Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . Yes

    Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street,... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,041 answers this week

3,053 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,041 answers this week

3,053 attorneys answering