Skip to main content

Can i be arrested or get in any trouble with the law?

Atlanta, GA |

i am 14 and my girlfriend is 14 her mother told us to stop talking to each other but, we still do her mother threatened to call the police if i continue talking to her but my girlfriend still calls me and talks to me all the time she does not want to stop talking either

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You are walking down a slippery slope whenever your version of what is happening depends upon nothing but memory and "he said, she said." What if the other side of the story is that you are stalking this young girl, and the girl refuses to back up your side of the story because she is afraid of her mother. The mother could file a stalking complaint against you. You should ask your parents to speak with her parents to determine what the other side of the story is before continuing to pursue this relationship.

I am exclusively a family law attorney, practicing primarily in the metro Atlanta, Georgia trial courts. However, I handle appeals from anywhere in Georgia.


You may want to speak with your parents about this and consult with an attorney who specializes in criminal law. If you are instigating calls to your girlfriend, then her parents might try to take out a warrant against you for harassing phone calls. Under Georgia law, a person commits the offense of harassing phone calls if he or she telephones another person repeatedly, whether or not a conversation ensues, for the purpose of annoying, harassing, or molesting another person or the family of such other person - or uses over the telephone language threatening bodily harm - or telephones and intentionally fails to hang up or disengage the connection - or knowingly permits any telephone under such person's control to be used for any purpose prohibited by the Georgia Code section dealing with harassing phone calls. I'm not suggesting that you are doing any of this, only that your girlfriend's parents might try to bring a criminal action against you, which may or may not (depending on all the facts) result in you facing charges as a juvenile delinquent. To avoid that potentiality, you'd be wise to get some advice from an attorney who specializes in criminal law.

This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It is not offered as nor does it constitute legal advice. This answer does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Do not rely on this answer in prosecuting or defending against any criminal or civil legal action. Speak to an attorney in your area about how to protect yourself and your interests.


You do state or imply that you and your girlfriend are having sex. If you are, you may both possibly be guilty of statutory rape. If you are not, you may not be committing any type of crime. However, you really need to pose your question to a criminal defense attorney. I've therefore changed the practice area of your question.

Good luck.

~ Kem Eyo

The above answer is a general explanation of legal rights and procedures. It does not constitute legal advice. Nor does it establish an attorney-client relationship between the individual posting the question and the attorney providing the answer.

Ikemesit Amajak Eyo

Ikemesit Amajak Eyo


CORRECTION: You do not state or imply that you and your girlfriend are having sex. AND You may or may not be committing any other type of crime.


You and she could each be arrested and charged in juvenile court. You need to listen to your parents in this case.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer