Can I be arrested if I do not respond to a letter I received?

Asked 10 months ago - Fort Lee, NJ

There is a judgement on record from 2011. . I am unable to pay.. The lawyers put this judgement against me and subpoened me to appear and there was an agreement made before being seen by the judge. I stopped paying when I was unable to. For about 2 years I did not hear from these lawyers. Recently I received a letter from them asking for information such as back account & whether I am collecting welfare or unemployment or working etc. I didn't fill it out. I also did research on the internet in reference to these lawyers & I do not feel they are legal like they say they are. Today I received another letter from them asking for me to send them information again. The letter states that if I do not send them a response I can get arrested. Is this true?

1. Barry Scott Miller

Pro

4

Answered . Yes you can potentially be arrested. Failure to answer an information subpoena could subject you to a contempt of court violation and that would be a basis to be arrested for violating a court order. It happened to a client of mine in the past.

2. Margaret Lambe Jurow

Pro

3

Answered . It's hard to tell from your question what exactly you recieved. There is something called an information subpoena which in general should be responded to. I'd recommend that you get a free copy of your credit report at www.myannualcreditreport.com and contact an attorney who handles debt collection defense and bankruptcy.

3. James D. Wade

4

Answered . I say err on the side of caution. Show the letter to an attorney who handles debt collection and ask them what they think. Most attorneys offer a free initial consultation and so you have nothing to lose.

4. Gary Ralph Ilmanen

1

Answered . no. they can't arrest you on a civil judgment.

5. Robert J Adams Jr.

Pro

1

Answered . You can not be arrested for a civil judgment balance.