Can I be arrested for saying to someone that there daughter is not cute, or "I hope something tragic happens to your family?

Bellevue, WA |

This took place online on facebook.

1. Saying such a thing is nasty but not actionable. But tread carefully here because a couple of word choices and this can constitute a threat of bodily harm and the target of these statements may be able to justify a restraining order or even file criminal charges under the right circumstances.

Best regards,
    Frank
    Natoli-Lapin, LLC

DISCLAIMER: this is not intended to be specific legal advice and should not be relied upon as such. No attorney-client relationship is formed with the law firm of Natoli-Lapin, LLC on the basis of this posting.

2. Pretty harmless, and no grounds for criminal action based on your facts.

People on the internet, including Avvo, say things on line they would not dare say to someone's face. "I hope something tragic happens to your family"???????

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also avvo.com terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

3. I agree with the previous answers. You should keep it to yourself, no good can come from that type of comment.
    The Washington Constitution gives you a lot of rope so don't trip yourself up.
    Article 1 SECTION 5 FREEDOM OF SPEECH. Every person may freely speak, write and publish on all subjects, being responsible for the abuse of that right.

Please be sure to indicate the best answer. If this answer was helpful, please mark as helpful below. Only. If and until you and I sign an Agreement for Legal Services, I am not your attorney. These answers are provided for informational and/or novelty purposes