Can I be arrested for saying to someone that there daughter is not cute, or "I hope something tragic happens to your family?

Asked 11 months ago - Bellevue, WA

This took place online on facebook.

1. Shawn B Alexander

Pro

2

Answered . I agree with the previous answers. You should keep it to yourself, no good can come from that type of comment.
    The Washington Constitution gives you a lot of rope so don't trip yourself up.
    Article 1 SECTION 5 FREEDOM OF SPEECH. Every person may freely speak, write and publish on all subjects, being responsible for the abuse of that right.

2. Frank Anthony Natoli

3

Answered . Saying such a thing is nasty but not actionable. But tread carefully here because a couple of word choices and this can constitute a threat of bodily harm and the target of these statements may be able to justify a restraining order or even file criminal charges under the right circumstances.

Best regards,
    Frank
    Natoli-Lapin, LLC

3. Michael Charles Doland

3

Answered . Pretty harmless, and no grounds for criminal action based on your facts.

People on the internet, including Avvo, say things on line they would not dare say to someone's face. "I hope something tragic happens to your family"???????