Can I be arrested for being in a public place?

Asked over 2 years ago - Minneapolis, MN

I was at a public place with a person who has a restraining order on me. I did not know this because it was a mall and she called the police. I did not even know she was there as I did not even see her. Can I be arrested for being in a public place even though I was no where near her and did not know she was there? The mall cameras would prove that.

1. Kaarin Steen Nelson

8

Answered . You can be arrested because the person who has a restraining order out against you called the police and told them you had violated the order. The police typically arrest someone when they're told that person violated a restraining order. The more pressing issue is whether you will be charged. If you are charged, the prosecutor will have to prove that you knew you were violating the order. It will be up to your lawyer to argue you did not know you were violating the order and your case should, therefore, be dismissed.

2. Max Allen Keller

Pro

6

Answered . Yes you can be arrested but that doesn't mean you are guilty.

www.KellerLawOffices.com
  3. Jonathan Neal Portner

Pro

7

Answered . You can be arrested for violating a restraining order while in a public place. If you did not know she was there you have a valid defense to the charge. Retain an experienced criminal defense attorney and i think under these facts you will be fine.

4. Maury Devereau Beaulier

3

Answered . To be convicted the State must prove you had the intent to commit the offense charged. That would be very difficult. It does not, however, prevent law enforcement from making an arrest when the complainant provides a basis to believe the law may have been violated.

For a FREE consultation call 612.240.8005.

5. Adam William Klotz

1

Answered . Contact a criminal defense attorney. Many such attorneys, like myself, offer free consultations.

Best of Luck --

Adam W. Klotz
    Free Consultations- 612.223.6767 ext. 3