Can I be arrested for an alleged terroristic threat via text message?

Princeton, MN |

Girlfriends ex is harassing her and threatened to kill me. I responded via text with threats of my own. He called the police and obviously left out how he threatened me first. They took pictures of that text and have tried calling me and come to my house twice with no luck of getting a hold of me. I have a prepaid phone. Can they arrest me? Can it be proven that I sent the text? What do I do?

The police can arrest you if they have probable cause to believe that you committed the crime. What you need to do is to not make the situation any worse than it already is. Don't make any more statements about the case to anyone. Do not speak to the police. Do not give them access to any evidence without a search warrant.

If they have probable cause to arrest you at this point, they will regardless of what you do. But if they don't, and you limit their access to information, then they won't be able to do so. If you are arrested hire an attorney immediately.

Call me if you want to talk more about your case, 612-223-7286.

I agree with Christian. Mum is the word. Hire an attorney if they question you and state that you won't speak to them without an attorney present. Reese Serra

This advise is only being offered as a courtesy. We do not have an attorney-client relationship and I do not represent you. Additional, the advice I have provided was based on the limited fact pattern provided by you. If the facts differ, my advice may not be correct. If you live in Michigan and would like legal assistance with your issue, feel free to contact me: 586-615-0756 / (ADVERTISING MATERIAL)