Can I be arressted for theft via defaulting on a loan that I never received from a lender?

Fairfield, CT |

I received a call from a man claiming to be a paralegal representing USA cash Advance. He stated that I defaulted on a loan and they were going to charge me with theft. I never took a loan from them nor received any money from any lender. He stated the only way to resolve this would be to wire the money to the law firm. I checked out the law firm he claimed to from. It does exist but this man is not employed there. I did not wire any money nor verify any information that he had about me.

1. That sounds like someone attempting a scam. If you get arrested or sued, contact a lawyer. From what you said, it doesn't look like it'll come to that.

2. It seems to be a scam. Don't send any money.

3. WIthout A Doubt A Scam. Also, Defaulting On A Loan Is A Civil Matter Not A Criminal Matter. There Are More And More Of These Scams Showing Up. You Should Report It To The CT Attorney Generals Office.

Disclaimer: The foregoing answer does not create an attorney-client relationship with Attorney Cannella or her firm. This answer does not constitute legal advice, is provided for informational and educational purposes only for persons interested in the subject matter, is not legal opinion, nor confidential in nature. Each situation is fact specific and may be subject to state specific laws. Without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem fully.