Can I attend school if my asylum is pending?

Asked over 1 year ago - Berkeley, CA

Hello: I have applied for asylum and waiting for interview, it has been about 3 months now. My situation: I am on f-1 as of now, whose opt expired last week and am on 60 days grace period. My Question: If my application is referred to Court, can I attend School, even If I lose my f-1 status (60 days grace period). On what basis school will admit me? Please Help!

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

15

1

Answered . Yes you may. Public universities in California admit students whatever their immigration status.

2. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

8

2

Best Answer

Answered . You can Attend school for as as you have work authorization from USCIS. In 3 months apply for work authorization from USCIS. Certain schools in CA will even accept you with a letter from your attorney stating you are in status. Just be creative!

3. Tatyana A Edwards

Pro

3

Answered . I agree with attorney Behar.

4. Alexus Paul Sham

Pro

3

1

Answered . You would need to apply for another F-1 visa. It is best to consult an attorney.