Skip to main content

Can I ask US consulate to revoke/cancel my spouse's H4 visa?

Eatontown, NJ |

I am a H1B holder working in US. Got married in India recently. My spouse got H4 visa approved and stamped 2 weeks after that. But since then I am having serious marital conflicts and planning to file a divorce petition in India. I don't want my spouse to travel to US.

I would like to know if there is a way to get her H4 visa revoked or canceled as I don't wish to support her anymore?

Thanks in advance.

Attorney Answers 2

  1. The trouble is that the H4 is her petition, not yours. You can notify them that you don't want to sponsor her and they might notify CBP not to admit her. No harm trying.

    The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

  2. The H4 visa was granted to the dependent spouse to enable her to join the principal spouse in the U.S. This is not a traditional petitioner/beneficiary situation where withdrawal/revocation is possible. However, you do not lose anything in contacting the U.S. Consulate which issued the visa about your preference, and it is theoretically possible for the Consulate to rescind her H4 visa.

    The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter, nor should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics