Can I ask US consulate to revoke/cancel my spouse's H4 visa?

Asked 7 months ago - Eatontown, NJ

I am a H1B holder working in US. Got married in India recently. My spouse got H4 visa approved and stamped 2 weeks after that. But since then I am having serious marital conflicts and planning to file a divorce petition in India. I don't want my spouse to travel to US.

I would like to know if there is a way to get her H4 visa revoked or canceled as I don't wish to support her anymore?

Thanks in advance.

1. Ajay Kumar Arora

1

1

Answered . The H4 visa was granted to the dependent spouse to enable her to join the principal spouse in the U.S. This is not a traditional petitioner/beneficiary situation where withdrawal/revocation is possible. However, you do not lose anything in contacting the U.S. Consulate which issued the visa about your preference, and it is theoretically possible for the Consulate to rescind her H4 visa.

2. Stephen D. Berman

Answered . The trouble is that the H4 is her petition, not yours. You can notify them that you don't want to sponsor her and they might notify CBP not to admit her. No harm trying.