Can I ask the WA courts for an extension on the trial date and the discovery deadlines?

Asked about 1 year ago - Seattle, WA

Husband refuses to follow the temporary court orders or show up for contempt proceedings. I now have to file a 2nd contempt of court against him for the temporary court orders. I'm anticipating that my requests to produce and interrogatories he will also not comply with, so I will have to file another motion this time to compel him to produce these and answer the interrogatories. Will a court take into consideration how difficult he is being and how he is not complying with any past temporary court orders? What happens if he doesn't show up for a 2nd contempt of court or provide any documents in discovery or answer it? What do the judges do when someone is intentionally playing games and being abusive like this?

1. Bruce Clement

Pro

Answered . (1) See my prior answers to other questions you posted (2) Your attorney will probably advise you not to ask for a continuance. The courts don't like to continue cases, and it sounds like your husband will be severely taken to task at trial or at a motion for contempt that requests jail time. See my AVVO Legal Guides on discovery motions and trials in divorce for more information about the legal issues raised by your inquiry. Please keep in mind that although these Legal Guides are often informative, they are no substitute for legal advice from an attorney you have retained for consultation or representation. Click on my photo. On my AVVO home page click on "View Contributions" or scroll down further and click on "Legal Guides." Scroll down the list of my 29 Legal Guides and select the topics relevant to your question. If you like my answer and Legal Guides, please make sure you mark them as “helpful.”

2. Thomas Creekpaum

Answered . Keeping motioning the court to hold him in contempt. You should be asking for attorney fees. Further, you should meet with a local family law attorney to determine the proper procedure to reset the trial date.

3. Matthew Thomas Majeski

Pro

Answered . It absolutely will. You may want to consider whether strategically extending the trial date is in your best interests. If you continue and your husband does not respond you may get awarded everything you're asking for without a fight.