Can I ask the State of Illinois for a settlement offer on arrearages owed? Child support cases (2) are closed.

Asked 7 months ago - Chicago, IL

Can I offer and get a settlement with the State of Illinois (Judge) for arrearages owed? I owe $16,000 in actual principal and $26,000 in interest totaling $42,000 (roughly). I'm a full-time Northwestern Univ. student and I work but $42,000 is a lot and more interest will probably get added.
Both mothers were on Public Aid when my children were young and received money and insurance from the State but now they're 23 & 20yrs old and the judge has terminated child support for both cases. This arrearage (due to me not working then) is crazy (interest especially) and now they've sent an order to withhold 65% of my income.
Can I BEG the judge for a settlement offer and he reduce arrearage to $20,000 and give me a year to pay it off?
How can live?
Do I need a lawyer?

PLEASE HELP!!

1. Peggy Margaret Raddatz

Pro

Answered . Check this program out.
    http://www.childsupportillinois.com/general/hfs...

It might possibly help you. If not you will need a chil support lawyer.