Can I ask the judge for community service in lieu of fines?

Asked over 1 year ago - Torrance, CA

I was charged with Misdemeanor DUI on 6/26/2012 and fined. I had already moved to Vegas at the time and the judge allowed me to do an online DUI course to satisfy the court. I showed at all my court dates. I just moved back and I had 2 people who each owed me $1,000 but they lost their jobs and will not likely be able to pay me by March 26, 2013. I already got an extension on my restitution and emergency services fees for $245 and $660 respectively. The fine is $1,628 and I was told by the criminal division that I could get an extension on 3/4 of the fine until July 26, 2013. I recently have had several interviews. I passed my background checks and drug tests but no job will hire me. Is it possible to get community service to cover everything? I've done all I can do.

The fine, restitution, and emergency service fees are due on March 26, 2013 for a total of $2,533. The emergency and restitution fees are a total of $905. All I have is $200 and I have only about 47 days to come up with the rest and at this rate it seems highly unlikely. I feel like just going to jail but I really don't want that on my record. I really cannot get a job. Can the court help me find a job?

1. Oscar Rene Gutierrez

4

Answered . As stated, the court will not help you find a job. Some fines/fees are mandatory and cannot be waived. That being said, speak to your attorney and devise a strategy for asking for an extension on the fines, restitution, and fees. Some courts will be understanding of your situation given the current state of the economy. That being said, don't wait until the last minute to do anything, being proactive with court dates, fines, fees, and apperances is always a good idea.

2. John M. Kaman

Pro

3

Answered . No, the Court is not an employment agency. I suggest that you return to Court with an attorney and explain your situation. I am all but certain the payments can be extended.

3. Seth Andrew Weinstein

3

Answered . You will need to hire an attorney to explain the situation to the Judge and smooth things over.

Seth Weinstein, Esq.
    Practicing throughout Southern California
    (310) 707-7131
    www.sethweinsteinlaw.com