Can i ask mortgage company to take my condo back or refinance to current current codo value or take low amount for the condo?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Des Plaines, IL

i have lost my job and i'm having problem paying the mortgage and i can' sell the condo because condo value is about 50% of when i refinanced. When i refinanced the value on the condo was $160,000 now condo is worth $65,000 to $80,000. i have some saving but i keep useing, before i use up my saving i would like to do something about the house.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Judy A. Goldstein

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You could speak to the lender or better yet, ask an attorney to help you try to negotiate a deed in lieu of foreclosure. The sooner you speak to a lawyer, the sooner you might be able to get some relief.

  2. Joseph Younes

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you stop making payments, the bank will begin foreclosure. You can try a short sale where you sell it to someone for less than the amount you owe, but the bank has to agree. This process can only be started when you have not made your payments for a few months.

  3. Steven Anderson Leahy


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Now is the time to develop a strategy - contact an attorney experienced in helping homeowners in this situation. There are at least 6 options.

    1. Deed-in-lieu of foreclosure
    2. Short sale
    3. consent foreclosure
    4. Reduced redemption after Judgment
    5. In Rem Judgment
    6. Bankruptcy.

    Which one is right for you? That's what an experienced attorney can help you decide.

    I hope this helps.
    Steven A. Leahy

    Please note that the above is not intended as legal advice, it is for educational purposes only. No attorney-... more
  4. Adam J. Lysinski


    Contributor Level 9

    Answered . I agree. You can try to do a loan modification, but the odds of getting your loan amount reduced are very low. Also, if you do a modification, you will have to disclose all your financial, which might hurt you later on. If the property goes into foreclosure, you can offer a “consent foreclosure” to the bank. If accepted, you will give up the title, and the bank will give up the right to obtain a deficiency judgment against you. If that does not work, preparing for bankruptcy might be a good idea. Good Luck.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,729 answers this week

2,982 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,729 answers this week

2,982 attorneys answering