Skip to main content

Can I ask for my ex husband's wife to not attend to my son's medical appointments, and schooling in place of my exhusband?

Fullerton, CA |

She has been a big part in pushing my ex husband into court, making everything 50/50 so that he and I do not have to cross paths, promoting 'paralell parenting'. He has her going to appointments, parents' conferences when he is not present. I'm completely uncomfortable with attenting these with her, as I don't see her as the equivalent of the father.

Attorney Answers 1


You can ask your husband to honor your views on this, but you have no legal rights to compel him to do so. He is part of a "household" and it is normal and reasonable in a 2-adult household to allocate between the responsible adults the necessary matters such as doctor appointments, school conferences, chauffeuring kids around, etc. Particularly if he is employed, he is entitled to manage his schedule and time in the best way he can and reliance on his wife (not a girlfriend) is reasonable conduct on his part. You have no veto powers in his decisions as to how to best meet his responsibilities and commitments.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

Mark as helpful

Child custody topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics