Can I ask for a probation extension?

San Diego, CA |

My probation hours are about to end and I have only been able to complete 1/3 of them. Could I request an extension or ask to pay the fine?

If you make sure you get into court and make this request BEFORE your probation period is over, if it is your first time requesting additional time, it shouldn't be a problem. If you've made this request before, you'll likely need a good excuse to eliminate the potential for additional punishment.

I will be happy to speak with you at no cost with a phone or office conference. Please call my office at 619-238-1905 or visit my website at www.lawofficeofwilliamdaley.com

2. Yes you can and most judges will give you a first time continuance if you have a minor excuse, a second time continuance may carry a stayed Jail term over the person's head to ensure compliance.

I will be happy to speak with you at no cost with a phone or office conference. Please call my office at 619-231-0401 or visit my website at www.paulneuharth.com

3. Yes, you can request an extension, and you should request it before the time period is up. Most judges will grant a first time continuance request to complete public work service/community service. If you have already requested one extension, then there may be some additional punishment. They will not normally convert these to a fine.

David M. Boertje, Esq.
    (619) 229-1870
    www.boertjelaw.com

*Please note that this is not legal advice and in no way formed an attorney-client relationship*

4. To echo the previous posts, be proactive not reactive and get before a judge ASAP.

Law Offices of David Shapiro 3555 4th Avenue San Diego, CA 92103 (619) 295-3555

5. Contact the attorney who handled your case in court and ask the lawyer to go to court and request an extension for you to complete your community service hours. This request will have the greatest success if it is made early.

If you don't have an attorney, search for a good San Diego DUI attorney on AVVO.

DUI topics