Can I ask for a probation extension?

Asked about 2 years ago - San Diego, CA

My probation hours are about to end and I have only been able to complete 1/3 of them. Could I request an extension or ask to pay the fine?

Attorney answers (5)

  1. William Peter Daley

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . If you make sure you get into court and make this request BEFORE your probation period is over, if it is your first time requesting additional time, it shouldn't be a problem. If you've made this request before, you'll likely need a good excuse to eliminate the potential for additional punishment.

    I will be happy to speak with you at no cost with a phone or office conference. Please call my office at 619-238-... more
  2. Paul Henry Neuharth Jr

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes you can and most judges will give you a first time continuance if you have a minor excuse, a second time continuance may carry a stayed Jail term over the person's head to ensure compliance.

    I will be happy to speak with you at no cost with a phone or office conference. Please call my office at 619-231-... more
  3. David Michael Boertje


    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes, you can request an extension, and you should request it before the time period is up. Most judges will grant a first time continuance request to complete public work service/community service. If you have already requested one extension, then there may be some additional punishment. They will not normally convert these to a fine.

    David M. Boertje, Esq.
    (619) 229-1870

    *Please note that this is not legal advice and in no way formed an attorney-client relationship*
  4. David Philip Shapiro


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . To echo the previous posts, be proactive not reactive and get before a judge ASAP.

    Law Offices of David Shapiro 3555 4th Avenue San Diego, CA 92103 (619) 295-3555
  5. Darryl Wayne Genis

    Contributor Level 7


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Contact the attorney who handled your case in court and ask the lawyer to go to court and request an extension for you to complete your community service hours. This request will have the greatest success if it is made early.

    If you don't have an attorney, search for a good San Diego DUI attorney on AVVO.

Related Topics


The definition, charges, and penalties for driving under the influence (DUI) vary by state and depend on a number of factors.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,472 answers this week

3,430 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,472 answers this week

3,430 attorneys answering