Can I ask at family court to cover attorney fees and compensation for defamation?

Asked over 1 year ago - San Jose, CA

My ex-wife, claims in the court documents I have not paid to her child and spousal support, for the last 5 years. I have paid. It took me significant time and effort to recover the bank transactions. If I would fail to collect evidence, the court would probably ask me to pay her over $25,000. Can I ask court to cover attorney fees? Can I ask court to compensate my time and stress caused by this court?

1. Richard Forrest Gould-Saltman

3

1

Answered . If you prove that her claims are false, you may be able to obtain an order for attorney fees, including sanctions. It's not clear that you could ever collect them; does she have any assets or income which you could garnish?

No, you can't recover fees for emotional distress in family court.

2. John Noah Kitta

Pro

1

Best Answer

Answered . If your ex’s claims were entirely false you certainly would have a reasonable basis to recover attorney fees and costs. Can you be compensated for your time and stress, No.

3. Donald Frederick Conviser

2

1

Answered . Accord with Mr. Gould-Saltman's excellent response. You can seek Family Code Section 271 Sanctions and attorney's fees via an appropriately drafted RFO, with your bank proof of payment documents attached as exhibits. Your RFO can address the time, cost and stress caused to you by your ex-wife's false claims, and the Court may possibly consider those things in making a Sanctions order. You would best retain an experienced Family Law Attorney to prepare and prosecute that RFO. Collectibility may be difficult unless your ex-wife has assets or a job that would be subject to a Writ of Execution.

4. Richard Eric Anthony Dwyer

Pro

Answered . Yes. You should proceed under Family Code section 271.