Can I as attorney in fact for my mother fulfill her duties as personal representative of an estate?

Asked over 1 year ago - Farmington, MI

My mother has a hard time getting around and she is personal representative of an estate. She needs to open a bank account in the name of the estate but it is hard for her to get around. If she were to have a power of attorney in place could I act in her place to open the bank account for the estate? Or is there another way I can open the account for her?

1. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Pro

6

Answered . I am a Florida attorney and the answer would be NO in Florida and I would guess No in any state.
    You can help gather information and documents for your mothers signature-but not act in her behalf.

2. Joseph Jonathan Brophy

6

Answered . A personal representative is an agent. An agent can't delegate to a sub-agent. If your mother is having difficulty discharging her duties as personal representative, she should resign and have somebody else apply to the court to be appointed.

3. Donald Joseph Quinn II

6

Answered . If you really are concerned you should contact the atty representing your mother in the estate matter to determine the answer to this question.

4. Jerome George Quinn Jr.

4

Answered . These duties are non delegable and she may need to be replaced as trustee. If her mental faculties are still good and the bank account is all she needs. many bankers will come to you.

5. Darren M. Findling

Pro

3

Answered . If your mother is the personal representative and she is having difficulties fulfilling her responsibilities because of her physical issues, a petition to modify personal representative should be filed with the probate court. The petition could request co-personal representatives or you as the sole personal representative. The bank institutions will not allow the power of attorney in stead of the actual personal representative.

This response does not constitute legal advice nor the establishment of an attorney client relationship.
  6. Jonathan Stuart Frank

4

Answered . In North Carolina, unless the Will specifically delegates to your Mother the power and authority permitting her to appoint a successor Executor, the answer would be NO.

7. James P. Frederick

2

Answered . A personal representative can delegate some authority under Michigan law, but practically speaking, the bank is going to require her to sign all paperwork relating to the estate account. They may make it easy for her to do this by providing you with paperwork for her to sign. But they are not going to allow you to act for her. One option would be for her to resign as PR and to nominate you to serve in her place.

James Frederick