Professional legal advice for $39.

Avvo Advisor
Talk to a lawyer

Can I as an LPR file for my mother?

I am an LPR and want to file for my mother now and when i get my citizenship upgrade the file....can i do this?

Jamaica, NY -

Attorney Answers (4)

Gintare Grigaite

Gintare Grigaite

Immigration Attorney - Bayonne, NJ

No, you have to obtain your citizenship first before you can apply for her.

Contact immigration attorney Gintare Grigaite at 646-407-2331. Answers on AVVO do not constitute legal advice and... more
Isaul Verdin

Isaul Verdin

Immigration Attorney - Dallas, TX

As an LPR you cannot file for a parent. You must wait to naturalize first, and then petition for your mother.

Best of luck.

Verdin Law Firm, LLC

J Charles Ferrari

J Charles Ferrari

Immigration Attorney - Los Angeles, CA

No. You must be a US Citizen.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more
Inara Khashmati

Inara Khashmati

Immigration Attorney - Maspeth, NY

Sorry but as LPR you may not file for your parents, you have to wait until you get your citizenship.

Good Luck!

Related Topics

Sponsoring an immigrant

Petitioning for, or sponsoring, an immigrant allows you to help a relative immigrate to the United States, if certain conditions are met.

Featured Legal Guides

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.