Can I as an F1 visa holder start my own LLC?

Brookline, MA |

I would like start an LCC in Massachusetts. I am studying Entrepreneurship as an undergrad, and I considering an online retail store.
I am not going to invest 1 Million Dollar, so I will not be eligible for a greencard.
I am also not going to work for the business, I will be hiring my cousin who is an American citizen, and my sister who is a green-card holder.
I heard different things from many people some say I can do it some say I cannot do it.
Can start it and own it 100% or do I have to cofound it with my sister?

Please if you are in Boston area include your contact information.

Thank you

1. You can own it, invest it in it but you cannot work for hte LLC without work authorization.

2. Yes, but you can perform zero work for it whether paid or unpaid.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through http://www.ailalawyer.com.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

3. I agree with my colleagues. You can own a LLC and have employees but you can not work for it unless you have work authorization.

Alexus P. Sham alexuspshamesq@gmail.com (917) 498-9009. The above information is only general in nature and does not constitute legal advice. It does not create an attorney-client relationship.

4. I very much respect people like you with spirit of entrepreneurship. Your plan is legally permissible: you can own a LLC, and have your sister and cousin work.

J.W.LAW, Office locations: Quincy & Worcester, MA, New York Tel. 617.221.3030 If you find the attorneys' answers are helpful, please thank the attorneys by marking their answers "helpful" or "best answers" so that they can get their credit from AVVO. The attorneys donate their time on AVVO to answer legal questions for free merely contribute their legal advice and do not create any legal representation relationships.