Can I as an F1 visa holder start my own LLC?

Asked over 1 year ago - Brookline, MA

I would like start an LCC in Massachusetts. I am studying Entrepreneurship as an undergrad, and I considering an online retail store.
I am not going to invest 1 Million Dollar, so I will not be eligible for a greencard.
I am also not going to work for the business, I will be hiring my cousin who is an American citizen, and my sister who is a green-card holder.
I heard different things from many people some say I can do it some say I cannot do it.
Can start it and own it 100% or do I have to cofound it with my sister?

Please if you are in Boston area include your contact information.

Thank you

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Karen-Lee Pollak

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You can own it, invest it in it but you cannot work for hte LLC without work authorization.

  2. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes, but you can perform zero work for it whether paid or unpaid.

    You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more
  3. Alexus Paul Sham


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with my colleagues. You can own a LLC and have employees but you can not work for it unless you have work authorization.

    Alexus P. Sham (917) 498-9009. The above information is only general in nature and does... more
  4. Jennifer Wang

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I very much respect people like you with spirit of entrepreneurship. Your plan is legally permissible: you can own a LLC, and have your sister and cousin work.

    J.W.LAW, Office locations: Quincy & Worcester, MA, New York Tel. 617.221.3030 If you find the attorneys'... more

Related Topics

Student visas

Student and exchange visitor visas allow people to come to the United States temporarily for a specific educational or cultural purpose.

F1 student visa

The F-1 is the most common visa for students and exchange visitors attending academic institutions in the United States.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,599 answers this week

3,395 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,599 answers this week

3,395 attorneys answering