Can I as an F1 visa holder start my own LLC?

Asked over 1 year ago - Brookline, MA

I would like start an LCC in Massachusetts. I am studying Entrepreneurship as an undergrad, and I considering an online retail store.
I am not going to invest 1 Million Dollar, so I will not be eligible for a greencard.
I am also not going to work for the business, I will be hiring my cousin who is an American citizen, and my sister who is a green-card holder.
I heard different things from many people some say I can do it some say I cannot do it.
Can start it and own it 100% or do I have to cofound it with my sister?

Please if you are in Boston area include your contact information.

Thank you

1. Karen-Lee Pollak

5

Answered . You can own it, invest it in it but you cannot work for hte LLC without work authorization.

2. J Charles Ferrari

5

Answered . Yes, but you can perform zero work for it whether paid or unpaid.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through http://www.ailalawyer.com.

3. Alexus Paul Sham

Pro

5

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. You can own a LLC and have employees but you can not work for it unless you have work authorization.

4. Jennifer Wang

3

Answered . I very much respect people like you with spirit of entrepreneurship. Your plan is legally permissible: you can own a LLC, and have your sister and cousin work.