Can I as a tenant withhold rent due to mold on the ceiling for 5 months?

Raleigh, NC |

I have contacted my landlord numerous time concerning black mold on the ceiling in my childs bedroom. He has not come to look at not once. It has been going on since july, since sept. My son has been back and forth to the doctor with sinus problems allergies and severe asthma problems. I have read the rights as a tenant for the state of north carolina. And it does not seem that having black mold growing in the0attic and on the ceiling is habitable at all. Please help!

As opposed to expecting to live in the apartment rent free for months, it may be reasonable to expect an immediate clean up of the mold or be allowed to vacate without penalty.

Our office schedules phone and office consultations to review cases concerning North Carolina legal issues. This answer does not establish an attorney-client relationship but is a response to a hypothetical scenario and should not be construed as legal advice.

Landlord-tenant topics