Can i apply to become a permanent resident?

Asked 12 months ago - Charlotte, NC

I have been under TPS since 2001 and i'm currently in high school and i am 16 years old. I have already recieved a college acceptance letter. I haven't traveled out the country. I just want to become a permanent resident so that i can continue on my way to becoming a US Citizen. Also i want to become a lawyer and that requires for you to be a US Citizen.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Alexander Joseph Segal


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . TPS is not a launching pad to LPR

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866)... more
  2. Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You would be well served to consult with a lawyer regarding the specifics of your situation. You may well qualify under the proposed immigration reform and appear to be DACA eligible as well. You do not have to be a US citizen to practice law in this country but once you are eligible to naturalize, I certainly agree that you should. Good luck!

    Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street,... more
  3. Robert Louis Brown


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Under the current law you need either a qualifying relative or employer to petition for your. If you have any relatives that are your spouse, parent, child or sibling that are US citizens or lawful permanent residents or sibling that are US citizens you have some opportunity.

    The proposed comprehensive immigration reform may provide some avenues but until it is law and the provisions of the law are known it is not possible to know if you have an avenue in the new law.

    Consider having a consultation with an immigration attorney.


Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,842 answers this week

2,839 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary