Can I apply for U.S citizenship even though I don't have my original birth certificate?

Asked over 4 years ago -

After my mother died, I was given my birth certificate and unfortunately I lost it and my green card. I have since gotten a new card and I cannot get a copy of my Birth certificate from my country because I need the original copy. I have lived in the U.S for twenty one years. Can I still apply for citizenship?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Scott D. Pollock

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyer agrees


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . A birth certificate is not one of the documents required for an N-400 application for naturalization.

    Scott D. Pollock
    Scott D. Pollock & Associates, P.C.
    105 W. Madison, Suite 2200
    Chicago, IL 60602
    (312) 444-1940
    fax: (312) 444-1950

    Please visit our newly revised website at, which contains updated information and new convenience features for clients.

  2. Norma Lorenzo

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . HI. YOu should be fine....and INS should have a copy of your BC from when you got your greencard...."should have". Good Luck!

  3. Philip Alan Eichorn

    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . USCIS needs proof of your identity. If you have your passport from your native country and your green card, then you should have sufficient documentation. Additionally, in your alien file, there should be a copy of your birth certificate (as it was likely submitted during your application to adjust status).

    That said, I'd err on the side of caution and retain counsel to handle the filing for you and attend the interview with you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,020 answers this week

3,035 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,020 answers this week

3,035 attorneys answering