Can I apply for U.S citizenship even though I don't have my original birth certificate?

Asked over 4 years ago -

After my mother died, I was given my birth certificate and unfortunately I lost it and my green card. I have since gotten a new card and I cannot get a copy of my Birth certificate from my country because I need the original copy. I have lived in the U.S for twenty one years. Can I still apply for citizenship?

1. Scott D. Pollock

1

1

Best Answer

Answered . A birth certificate is not one of the documents required for an N-400 application for naturalization.

Scott D. Pollock
    Scott D. Pollock & Associates, P.C.
    105 W. Madison, Suite 2200
    Chicago, IL 60602
    (312) 444-1940
    fax: (312) 444-1950
    spollock@lawfirm1.com
    www.lawfirm1.com

Please visit our newly revised website at www.lawfirm1.com, which contains updated information and new convenience features for clients.

2. Norma Lorenzo

Answered . HI. YOu should be fine....and INS should have a copy of your BC from when you got your greencard...."should have". Good Luck!

3. Philip Alan Eichorn

Answered . USCIS needs proof of your identity. If you have your passport from your native country and your green card, then you should have sufficient documentation. Additionally, in your alien file, there should be a copy of your birth certificate (as it was likely submitted during your application to adjust status).

That said, I'd err on the side of caution and retain counsel to handle the filing for you and attend the interview with you.