Can I apply for the wet feet dry feet Cuban exception as a Cuban citizen born in other country?

Asked over 1 year ago - Miami, FL

My parents both are Cubans. I was born in Venezuela and I have legal tourists Visa to enter legally to the US with my Venezuelan passport. I'm also a Cuban citizen.
Under this conditions, can I apply for the wet feet dry feet law?

1. Jeffrey Adam Devore

8

Answered . The "wet foot dry foot" policy only applies to Cuban nationals who arrive in the United States unlawfully. You have the ability to arrive in the U.S. lawfully. The fact that you arrive using your Venezuelan passport does not prevent you from applying for adjustment of status under the Cuban Adjustment Act if you satisfy the physical presence requirements and are otherwise eligible. Consult with an experienced immigration attorney who can review your case and recommend the best way to proceed.

2. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

5

Answered . I agree with my esteemed colleague's excellent answer.

3. Jesus Novo III

2

Answered . Yes you can. If you have a Cuban birth certificate and enter the country with your visa, you will be able to adjust status under the CAA after a year and a day.

4. Norma Lorenzo

1

2

Answered . Hi hope you are well. I believe your question is if you could enter the us as acuban ad be paroled instead of having to wait the year and one day without status in the us before you could get your green card under the Cuban adjustment act. The answer to that is up to te port officer and you. Once you come in you need to tell the officer that you are Cuban and you want to be paroled.... This depending on the officer could be a smooth transition or could take hours in what we call in
    Miami "el cuartico". At the end of the day after hours e could still not parole you in but at least you gave it a try. This scenario is very common in Miami with dual nationals Cubans ... Some get the parole others dont... Bottom line it's upon the discretion of the officer. Best of luck!

5. Alena Shautsova

Pro

3

Answered . You might be able to adjust anyway. Consult with an attorney over the phone or Skype to explore your options.

6. Kristin D Figueroa-Contreras

Answered . Do you have a Cuban birth certificate or passport? If so, you would need to request parole at the Port of Entry (e.g., airport) as a Cuban national. Otherwise, if you were to enter as a Venezuelan and remain in the US for a year and day, you can apply for adjustment as a Cuban national under the Cuban Adjustment Act.

Please note that because you were not born in
    Cuba, your entitlement to Cuba citizenship will be scrutinized. This is particularly the case in the wake of the recent bust of a ring that was selling fraudulent Cuban Birth Certificates to non-Cuban people here in the US. These people later posed as Cubans to adjust under the Cuban Adjustmeny Act. I was informed by a federal investigator on the case that there is someone in the US Cuban Interests Section in Havana who is actually physically checking the suspect birth certificates against the actual physical registries in Cuba. Not that your case is fraudulent, but it is important that you keep in mind that there is now a heightened suspicion of dual nationals born outside of Cuba who claim Cuban citiizenship.

Best of luck to you.