Skip to main content

Can I apply for the green card through asylum

Houston, TX |

I came to states as avisitor in 2007 . I can't go back to my country because my life will bein danger ( my family will kill me because I left my husband home and got the divorce from him and I escaped from my country and I came to u s a

Attorney Answers 3


You should discuss this directly with an attorney because it will depend on too many factors to discuss on a site such as this. Asylum is not just for people who fear for their lives, your fear has to be based on certain things - for example: if the government of your country is persecuting people of your race, or religion. An attorney will be able to determine if the details surrounding your case would qualify. You are also generally required to file for asylum within one year of your arrival in the country, and you failure to have done so could also affect your eligibility. Again, you should discuss all the details directly with an attorney - even if you do not qualify for asylum you may have other options. Good luck! - 312.641.0771 - The information above is general in nature and is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship between us. It is intended simply as background material, is current only as of its indicated date, and may not include important details and special rules that could be applicable to your case. You should consult an attorney directly before acting or refraining from action.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


If one is afraid to go back to his home country for fear of persecution on account of race, religion, politics, social group, or nationality, with several rules that have to be met (exceptions to one year etc.), you may want to discuss whether asylum is possible option.

JP Sarmiento
(216) 573-3712

Mark as helpful


You cannot apply for a green card through asylum unless and until you have been granted asylum. I cannot tell from your question if you have been granted asylum. If you apply for and are granted asylum, you will be eligible to apply for a green card one year after asylum was granted. If you have not been granted asylum, you have missed the one-year deadline and would need to find out if you qualify for an exception to the one-year deadline. You need advice you can rely on - you need an immigration attorney's help with this. Please consult with/retain an immigration attorney to help you determine what your options are and the risks associated so you can make an informed decision. If money is an issue, try contacting local area legal aid organizations or similar non-profits offering free/low fee immigration legal services.

Mark as helpful

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics